Feb 1, 2009

I know it's killing me, now shut it!

Alright, so this weekend, a number of people (whether I knew them or not) basically lectured me about my smoking habit. I have this little green booklet that I would like to talk about.
Made by leavethepackbehind.com
this booklet is for college/university students who smoke and do not want to quit.

I know it's unhealthy, I know it's going to kill me, but please just don't yell at me for doing it.
Like, I feel like a child at times when people look at me and tell me the negative effects of smoking as if I never knew what I was doing to myself. I knew what I was doing when I first smoked a cigarette and I still know what's happening to me when I spark another cigarette.

This booklet saysuniversity students smoke to:
1-reduce stress and tension
2-decreases boredom
3-improves concentration
4-controls appetite
5-is something to do with friends
6-boosts energy
7-reduces anger and frustration
8-offers a sense of control over life

For me, it's basically everything on the list besides 6 and 8.

Here's a biggie,

One of the only reaons why you'll start lecturing me to quit smoking is probably because you care
Spot on? Yes, I know people care about me enough to tell me to stop, but when I feel like I'm ready to quit smoking, then I'll quit.

Not a lot of people have met my temper, and doing this cold turkey thing might introduce a few people to a very unpleasant person.

I have taken steps to try and reduce the amount of times I smoke in a day (some days are better than others) and hopefully I'll have stopped altogether.

I wasn't caught by scheme or such nonsense to start, I just knew that having a cigarette is one way to calm the nerves, so I tried it. Some people like it, others can't.

---

There was also a report that I had heard on the radio last year or so. Apparently, research ewas done and it was soon figured out that some people are genetically wired to reject the nicotine addiction from their bodies while others are more likely to become addicted. So maybe my genetic pattern fucked and decided nicotine was something important.

Who gives a damn! I smoke because I like it, and it's a wonderful way to get out and meet people.

"Excuse me, do you have a lighter?"
"sure"
"Thank you! So how was your day?"

and so on and so forth.

now if there was some wing-nut in the picture, then small talk isn't needed and all you have to do is sit back and enjoy the show.

1 comment:

bill samuel said...

Fuck 'em all I say! Smoke 'em if you've got 'em.

Way to many people think it is their right to comment on life style choices. They like ti hide behind the "we care about you" schtick, yet they will be the first in line to forget your name at the funeral.

Nicotine is the single most powerful addictive agent that man has found, no reards, sucks the life out of you and leaves you broke or buying from the natives. Who cares!!! If it was such a huge issue why is it still legal? Money, billions and billions of tax dollars that you and I dump into the system every year.

Wan't me to quit? Make it against the law, and give every peace officer in Canada about a zillion ticket books and nothing else to do, cause they'll need all their time writing friggin' tickets to smokers.

I feel better, I'm going to relax and have a smoke.